CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

March 14, 2010

New Collections

Since last October I have started collecting things for Civil War Reenacting. Most of them are random things. Some I have found at antique stores, some my Dad has graciously given to me, and others I have bought on line. Here are a few of my favorites...


Tiny Victorian salt and pepper shakers. I can put them in my picnic basket. I love my salt!



Different tin-types pictures from 1800's.


Handkerchiefs

Real animal fur for winter collars or hand muffs

Fan, gloves, and bracelets. They always wore matching bracelets. One on each wrist.


Writing box (closed)

Writing box (open). As you can see there are pencils, a pen, bottle of ink. (This treasure came from my Dad and I love it!)


Serving tray

Real antique eating utensils. My Dad found these at an antique store. Fiddle back spoons and the three pronged fork with a smooth knife.

Picnic basket for me and my kids while reenacting. A good place to secretly stash my diet Pepsi, cell phone, and Cadbury chocolate!


I have to do some more "de-modernizing" to it (take away velcro straps), but I am excited to use it,


Victorian china Tea set. The utensils are not quite period correct, but they will have to do so for now. The tea set is a replica of a Ladies tea set from the mid 1800's.


I had to take this picture to show how tiny the cups are. It looks like a children tea set, but they really did use these tiny things. I love them!

Yea for future tea parties. Although I don't drink tea, we will have to make herbal tea or lemonade. This too is a replica of a Victorian Tea set.




Yummy soaps from France!

I am a sucker for lanterns. The one in the middle my Dad gave me and the two on each side I found at an antique store. They are mirror reflecting lanterns. They give off more of a direct light. I thought this would be handy for when I play my dulcimer at night.



More lanterns...


Period Correct earrings. During the Civil War woman wore small dangle earrings. I made the top left ones, Jenny brought the amber stone ones back from France, and the pair on the bottom right my Dad got for me at an antique store. They are very small and dainty Cameo's. I have worn them a few times, but very cautious about them when I do. I keep checking to see if they are still there. I don't want to loose them.

Here are just a few of my broaches. I have about 12, but these are my favorites. I love the Cameo's. The one with the three ladies are "Rachel, Jenny, and I". The one with the "HMS Warrior Ship" my Dad bought for my Mom while we were living in England. The HMS Warrior Ship was a navy battle ship completed in 1861. It was by far the largest, fastest, most heavily-armed and most heavily-armoured warship the world had ever seen. It still stands at port today in Portsmouth England. I've been on it! The one on the far bottom right (with dried flowers in it) my Dad gave to my Mom during Dental school in Louisville Kentucky. Mom gave her permission to let me have them and I will treasure them forever. They have such meaning to me. Thanks to my Dad for adding to my Broach/cameo collection. He gave or found all of these except the the snow flake. Between lanterns and broaches, I have a slight addiction or should I say, starting of a new collection.


I won this on E-bay for $17.00. (In a kind and gentle voice) Miss Lydia WILL WEAR IT!

I found this Victorian child's bonnet for Lydia at a local Midway antique store. I have to replace the ribbons. but other than that it is in good condition. It slips back off her head so I will have to sew in a hair clip to keep the bonnet on top of her head.


You only get a fist view of her dainty gloves. She wasn't quite sure about the flowers on the side. I turned around and she had the gloves between her teeth pulling them off. I practically leaped on her and took them off gently.

0 comments: